➠ ➠ ➠SLEEP & WATER
So many of us think that sleep is a luxury that we are just too busy for … or grown up for! Right! We are GROWNUPS! We can stay up however late we want! And it can be so tempting, can’t it!?
Oftentimes, for many of us, those late-night hours are precious! They the first few minutes we have had to ourselves all day … or with our spouses … or to finally get to that load of laundry … or those episodes of This Is Us and Shameless that are piling up.
I get it!!
But did you know that something as simple as a bedtime can change your life!? And here is the cool thing. You get to decide your bedtime, so you are still the boss!
Guess what other freebie resource can change our lives in huge ways?
Water is a funny one because we all know we should be drinking MORE of it, yet it is so easy to skip. Check out these incredible benefits of water, then join me below for some tips on slipping some easy bedtime and hydration tricks into your routine!
1. Increases Energy & Relieves Fatigue
Since your brain is mostly water, drinking it helps you think, focus and concentrate better and be more alert. As an added bonus, your energy levels are also boosted!
2. Promotes Weight Loss
Removes by-products of fat, reduces eating intake (by filling up your tummy if consumed prior to meals), reduces hunger (hello natural appetite suppressant!), raises your metabolism and has zero calories!
3. Flushes Out Toxins
Gets rid of waste through sweat and urination which reduces the risk of kidney stones and UTI’s (urinary tract infections).
4. Improves Skin Complexion
Moisturizes your skin, keeps it fresh, soft, glowing and smooth. Gets rid of wrinkles. It’s the best anti-aging treatment around!
5. Maintains Regularity
Aids in digestion as water is essential to digest your food and prevents constipation.
6. Boosts Immune System
A water guzzler is less likely to get sick. And who wouldn’t rather feel healthy the majority of the time? Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu, cancer, and other ailments like heart attacks.
7. Natural Headache Remedy
Helps relieve and prevent headaches (migraines & back pains too!) which are commonly caused by dehydration.
8. Prevents Cramps & Sprains
Proper hydration helps keep joints lubricated and muscles more elastic so joint pain is less likely.
9. Puts You In A Good Mood
When the body is functioning at its best, you will feel great and be happy!
10. Save Money!
Water is FREE! Even if you choose bottled/filtered water, it’s STILL cheaper than that high sugar and fat-filled latte!
➠ ➠ ➠TIPS FOR MORE SLEEP
👉🏼Reverse-engineer your bedtime. PLAN what time you need to get up to have a smooth morning and subtract 7-8 hours.
*Yes! That’s how much most people need. MOST people who claim to be able to get by on less sleep have actually just adapted to being generally sleepier, overall.
👉🏼If you are like me and the prospect of GETTING READY for bed (and the ensuing procrastination) keeps you up late, do your before-bed routine earlier in the evening.
👉🏼Eliminate electronics and bright lights right before bed.
👉🏼Let your household know about your bedtime so they can help support you to get some rest so your body is PRIMED to make these changes it is about to make!
➠ ➠ ➠TIPS FOR MORE WATER
👉🏼Find a water-bottle or cup that you will actually drink out of.
👉🏼Put some failsafes in place. Attach water-drinking to some regular everyday tasks. For example, drink a cup as your coffee brews, drink a cup before you get in the shower, drink a cup while you make dinner, drink a cup before eating, drink a cup before your daily 11am meeting
👉🏼If you aren’t a huge fan of the taste(lessness) of water, there are a lot of fun ways to spice it up!
- You can chop up fresh fruit or herbs and put them in there (and they don’t count as purples or any other container!). The combos you can do are endless! Cucumber and mint, strawberry basil, orange or lemon slices…
- Also, don’t forget that La Croix and other UNSWEETENED sparkling waters also count towards your water intake too if you’re bored with plain water.
- If you are feeling too chilly to drink cold water and don’t like the lukewarm variety, try hot lemon water or unsweetened herbal tea!
- so seemingly silly but true … get a water bottle that you’ll actually drink out of. For me personally, I’m not likely to drink out of something I have to twist off. Weird, I know. But KNOW WHAT YOU LIKE!
- I like cool water, no ice, in a straight kitchen cup. When I was living that cubicle life, I brought my cup to work, too.
- if your job doesn’t allow for frequent water drinking, P L A N. Drink the most when you wake up in the morning so you can use the bathroom several times if necessary (while getting ready, before leaving, right when you get to work, etc)
👉🏼bottom line: it’s not our water’s job to impress you. It is there to hydrate us. Every single thing we do for your health and fitness is not going to be there for our entertainment. (A lot of it will tho! The workouts, your yummy shake, this group!)
But some of it is just stuff that needs to get done. This is one of them! However, if you utilize some of these tricks, it can be much more enjoyable as you create that habit!